Friday, December 9, 2011

Numbness/Prickly Feet

"I am a broke-ass college student with no insurance so seeing a doc is a last resort. After about 20 minutes of riding the front half(mostly) of the soles of my feet get a severe prickly feeling. It's not a numbness that you might expect from tight shoes and it's only on the soles. I went up one euro size in my shoes and they definitely don't feel tight or restrictive, actually almost loose. I use custom molded orthotics and have tried riding with and without them and there's no difference. I've been riding on and off for 20 years and have never had this problem. Help! Thanks."


Couple of things here: 

1. You did not mention your orthotics are specific to cycling. (The arch has a different role vs. walking of leg length discrepancy, etc) If they were not cast with a metarsal button, you probably need one.  

2. The "openness" of the new shoe may mean that your foot is getting crammed into the toebox and the tingling is metarsal nerve compression. 

3. The drape of your foot or varus rotation may be coming into play and canting the shoe may be in order. 

4. Last but not least it may be the cleat placement-seat height relationship that could be contributing to the issue.

"Yo Tad! 

Thanks for the feedback. I put a thicker wedge under the medial side of the orthotics to address the cant of my foot and the foot numbness is practically gone! That was one variable I hadn't addressed. I think you fixed it yo!" 

2 comments:

  1. hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful 's a Very good, very useful to me, Thank you very much post.
    Custom bike fit toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. For more information please visit
    Bike Fitting
    Have a nice day.........

    ReplyDelete